Alexander N. Loftus
Alexander Loftus has resolved a wide range of significant cases through mediation, arbitration, and trial across all sectors of commercial litigation, including breach of contract, fraud, professional malpractice, business divorce, and shareholder disputes. Alex specializes in litigating business, intellectual property, commercial, employment, and class action cases and is passionate about fighting for the little guy in a failed business transaction and he prides his practice on being the righter of wrongs.
Alexander is admitted to practice in Illinois State Courts, Illinois Federal Courts, Eastern District of Wisconsin, Federal Trial Bar, and The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. He is also currently admitted pro hac vice in Wisconsin, Delaware, Florida, and California and has handled appeals before the Illinois Appellate Courts, Seventh Circuit, U.S. Supreme Court, and represented Amicus Curiae before the Illinois Supreme Court.
Alexander is a distinguished member of the Illinois State Bar Association, Illinois Trial Lawyer’s Association and the Small Business Advisory Counsel. From 2013-2022, Alexander has been designated a Rising Star by Law and Politics and the publishers of the Chicago Magazine, which is a decoration given to only 2.5% of attorneys in the State of Illinois. In 2013 Alexander was esteemed “Superb” by AVVO which is an unbiased physician and attorney rating agency and was designated in the Top 40 Trial Lawyers under 40 by the National Trial Lawyers Association.
Most recently Alexander was Chair of the Commercial Litigation Group at Stoltmann Law Offices where he was 80% plaintiffs’ side contingent/alternative fee litigation and international arbitration where he handled a variety of civil litigation cases from inception to appeal. Some of his most notable cases delivered the following:
- After over a year in litigation in four forums achieved settlement for terminated CEO of multinational corporation for whistleblower and shareholder claims in exchange for confidential cash settlement and exchange of intellectual property valued at $3M.
- Represented 450 victims of a $200M Ponzi Scheme in a series of actions including multimillion dollar settlements for claims alleging legal malpractice against the attorneys who organized the scheme and sold the investment, brokers who approved the investment, and investment advisors who sold the investment spread over seven different forums.
- Achieved summary judgment in defense of a $3.5M claim for breach of fiduciary duty in Cook County. Claim was defended on a flat fee.
- Resolved business divorce netting the departing partner nearly 3x his capital contribution in a suburban Chicago Hotel.
- A significant confidential settlement of an antitrust case on behalf of a medical equipment retailer against an international supplier, July 2018.
- $1.8M in a securities fraud case on behalf of an elderly couple in Florida, December 2017.
- Settled shareholder oppression claim netting the departing partner $1M cash and $3.2M purchase option.
Prior to leading up the Commerical Litigation Group at Stoltmann Law Offices. Alexander was a trial attorney at Voelker Litigation Group. Some of numerous successes while there are:
- $860K awarded for promissory estoppel, quantum meruit, and unfair business practices by jury verdict in the Northern District of California in a commercial dispute. The final offer before trial was $70K, May 2016
- $205K awarded as a resolved an accounting malpractice claim via arbitration, April 2016
- $630K settled a breach of fiduciary duty and landlord tenant dispute for in Kenosha, Wisconsin, March 2016.
- A judgment for 6x the final offer plus attorney fees in a hotly contested breach of contract and Illinois Sales Representative Act claim, January 2016.
- $1.9M settlement in a tortious interference claims against a national hotel chain, October 2015.
- $1.4 million verdict in a Cook County breach of contract trial. There was no offer prior to trial, January 2015.
- Successfully defended a multi-million dollar corporation in a conversion claim seeking punitive damages in a Cook County Law Division trial, December 2014.
Alexander grew up in a small town in southern Wisconsin and loves taking his kids fishing there in the summers. He attended college in Saint Paul, Minnesota and Washington, D.C where he studied Political Science and was a member of Pi Sigma Alpha (national political science honor society). While studying at American University Alexander held his first legal position as an investigator for Mental Health Division of Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia. Prior to graduating from DePaul University College of Law with honors, he worked for the general counsel of 3M, obtained additional legal experience at US Bank and has years of high stakes contingent fee legal experience Fichera & Miller, P.C.
DePaul College of Law, 2010
University of St. Thomas Aquinas, 2006
Northern District of Illinois
Eastern District of Wisconsin
Western District of Wisconsin
Northern District of Texas