Jefferey O. Katz
Jefferey Ogden Katz is a leading professional responsibility trial lawyer. Jeff has handled hundreds of professional liability cases throughout the country, both on behalf of Plaintiffs and Defendants in nearly two decades of practice. Jeff regularly represents individuals, private and public corporations and law firms in litigation, trials and alternative dispute resolution involving professional liability and disciplinary issues. Jeff's unique experience on both sides of professional liability matters allows him to be a creative and powerful advocate for his clients.
Jeff has gained an extensive amount of experience advocating on behalf of plaintiff clients who have suffered considerable financial damages and other issues because of the negligence or wrongdoing of others. In addition to plaintiff representation, he also defends the rights and interests of physicians, lawyers and other licensed professionals accused of unscrupulous or unlawful practices, and he has achieved remarkable success helping his clients find the favorable outcomes they seek as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
To that end, Jeff is well-versed in arbitration, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution techniques, and he has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for his clients both inside and outside the courtroom. Among his most notable successes, he helped mediate a settlement for a company in Wisconsin facing $10 million in claims involving patent prosecutions, and successfully defended a claim brought against an uninsured attorney involving more than $4 million in claimed damages by way of trial.
Jeff is a distinguished member of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and American Association for Justice. Jeff was designated a Rising Star by Law and Politics and the publishers of the Chicago Magazine from 2013 through 2017 and a Super Lawyer from 2018-2022. In 2013, Jeff was esteemed "Superb" by AVVO which is an unbiased physician and attorney rating agency. In 2015 and 2016 Jeff was recognized as an "Emerging Lawyer" and from 2017 through now has been recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" by his peers based on surveys conducted by Law Bulletin Media. Jeff has earned an AV-Preeminent peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell as well as an AV-Preeminent judicial rating.
Jeff has been a frequent speaker on professional liability issues and has presented to the Chicago Bar Association, American Association for Justice and American Conference Institute, among others, on professional liability issues. Mr. Katz has frequently been cited by the media, including ESPN, Sports Illustrated, and Law 360 on issues relating to professional liability.
Jeff has resolved a legal malpractice matter in excess of $10,000,000 involving complex intellectual property matters and obtained a judgment of $2,550,377 for a professional athlete in an action involving a failed purchase of a professional sports franchise. He successfully defended an NBA player in the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals from a claim of more than $1,200,000 brought by that player's former agent for breach of the player-agent agreement.
Jeff is originally from Middleton, Wisconsin and now lives in Hinsdale with his wife and two children.
J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Cleveland, Ohio, May 2004
B.A., International Relations and Political Science, University of Wisconsin at Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, May 2000
State of Wisconsin, September 2009
United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
United States District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
United States District Court, Northern District of Indiana
United States District Court, Central District of Illinois
United States District Court, Southern District of New York
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
United States Supreme Court
Admitted Pro Hac Vice in numerous state courts
- Bachewicz v. Preferred Development Inc. (Cook County, Illinois) (2014) (For Plaintiff)
- Michelle Beauty Supply v. Citilaw, LLC et al. (Cook County, Illinois) (2015) (For Defendant)
- Alice Wood v. John J. Lynch, P.C. (Cook County, Illinois) (2015) (For Plaintiff)
- Joel Jungmann v. Phil Dahlberg et al. (Ozaukee County, Wisconsin) (2015) (For Plaintiff)
- Darlene Kopta v. Law Offices of Jerry A. Schulman (Cook County, Illinois) (2016) (For Defendant)
- Nick Cortese v. Russell Bohach (Racine County, Wisconsin) (2018) (For Plaintiff)
- Camelion Battery Co., Ltd. v. Bertrand Law Office, PC (Cook County, Illinois) (2019) (For Plaintiff)
- Rita Ambriz v. Mario Encinas et al (Cook County, Illinois) (2021) (For Defendant)
- Barbara Andersen v. Debra Seger & Latimer LeVay Fyock (Cook County, Illinois) (2021) (For Defendant)
- Book titled “Rick Management for the Plaintiff’s Attorney,” AAJ Press (forthcoming).
- Law Bulletin Media Ethics 2022: Your fees: A review of the state of play for contingency fees, referral fees and fees for limited representation (Chicago, June 2022).
- Practicing Law Institute (PLI) Illinois Professional Responsibility Marathon: The Ethical Sale or Closure of a Law Practice (Chicago, April 2021).
- National Association for Legal Fee Analysis: Proving Attorney Fees in Court (Chicago, March 2020).
- Hinshaw 2020 LMRM Conference: Successful Mediation Strategies (Chicago, March 2020).
- APEX CLE: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Issues for Attorneys and Clients (Chicago, September 2019).
- Practicing Law Institute (PLI) Illinois Professional Responsibility MCLE Marathon 2019 (Chicago, April 2019).
- American Association for Justice Winter Convention: Four Hot Spots to Avoid Legal Malpractice (Miami, FL, February 2019).
- Chicago Bar Association: Practical and Ethical Considerations of Litigation Funding (Chicago, IL, December 2018).
- Chicago Bar Association: The Interplay Between the Rules of Professional Conduct and Malpractice Claims (YLS Professional Responsibility Committee) (Chicago, IL, October 2018).
- APEX CLE: Avoiding the Malpractice Claim (Arlington Heights, IL, October 2018).
- American Association for Justice Annual Convention: Risk Management for the Plaintiff’s Attorney (Denver, CO, July 2018).
- National Academy of Continuing Legal Education: Ethical Tips for Solo and Small Firm Practitioners (Chicago, February 2018).
- Attorney’s Retaining Liens: Know Your Rights But Assert Then Cautiously (Volume 20, Number 1, Winter 2018 Trial Journal of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association).
- Seven Tips for Client Communications, AAJ Trial Magazine (July 2017).
- Chicago Bar Association Tort Litigation Committee: Avoiding the Dreaded Legal Malpractice Claim (Chicago, May 2017).
- Practicing Law Institute (PLI) Illinois Professional Responsibility MCLE Marathon 2017 (Chicago, April 2017).
- National Academy of Continuing Legal Education: Ethics 2017 (6.0 credit hours of ethics presentation) (Chicago, February 2017).
- American Association for Justice Winter Seminar: Avoiding a Legal Malpractice Claim (Austin, Texas, February 2017).
- Demystifying the Law School Application Process, UIC Pre-Law Society (Chicago, September 2016).
- Avoiding Malpractice: 10 Tips for Supervisory Attorneys, AAJ Trial Magazine (October 2015).
- American Immigration Lawyers Association 2015 Ethics Conference Panelist (Chicago, May 2015).
- Professional Liability Dispute Resolution, NBI Seminars (December 2014).
- No Good Mental Note: Keys to Progressing, AAJ Trial Lawyer Magazine (Summer Edition).
- Attorneys, The Internet, & Hate Speech: An Argument for an Amended Model Rule 8.4, Seattle Journal for Social Justice (Summer 2014 issue).
- Avoidance of the Dreaded Legal Malpractice Claim, American Association for Justice Annual Convention (Washington, D.C., July 2014).
- Streamlining Client Representation: Leveraging new business structures, Law Bulletin Seminars (Chicago, June 2014).
- Contributing Editor, Inside Counsel Magazine (2014).
- So You Want to File a Legal Malpractice Case? American Association for Justice Annual Convention (Chicago, June 2012).
- View from the Plaintiff’s Bar: Adapting Your Claims and Litigation Strategies to New and Innovative Theories Being Brought by Your Adversaries, ACI/LPL Legal Malpractice Conference (New York, May 2012).
- A Practical Due Diligence Checklist on Preventing the Most Common Attorneys Errors in Civil Litigation, ACI/LPL Legal Malpractice Conference (New York, May 2012).
- Ethical Considerations Related to Modern Technology, Chicago Bar Association YLS Professional Responsibility Committee (Chicago, September 2010).
- “Rules 1.3 and 1.4 of the Illinois Rules of Professional Conduct,” Half Moon Seminar (Chicago, October, 2006).
- Moderator: Chicago Bar Association Seminars on Rules of Professional Conduct (December, 2009, June, 2010, December 2010, June 2011, December 2011, and June 2012).
- Moderator: Chicago Bar Association Seminar-State of the Profession (December 2012).
- National Association of Legal Fee Analysis Certificate in Reasonable Attorney Fees (March 2017)
- National Association of Legal Fee Analysis Senior Fellow (February 2018).
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Alumni Admissions Ambassador (2015-Present)
- American Association for Justice AAJ Press Advisory Board (2019-Present)
- American Association for Justice Law Schools Committee (2012-18)
- American Association for Justice NLD Education Committee (2012-18)
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law Alumni Recruiting Coordinator (2011-15)
- Regional Coordinator American Association for Justice Student Trial Advocacy Competition (2013-14)
- Chicago Bar Association e-mentoring program mentor (2006-07, 2012)
- Member: Chicago Bar Association, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, National Association of Legal Fee Analysis and American Association for Justice (formerly ATLA)
- Past Chair: Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section Professional Responsibility Committee (2009-12)
- Founding and Current Chair, American Association for Justice Professional Liability Litigation Group (2012-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- SuperLawyers Rising Stars List 2013-2017 (Professional Liability)
- SuperLawyers 2018-Present (Professional Liability)
- Leading Lawyers Emerging Lawyer 2015-2016 (Professional Malpractice)
- Leading Lawyer 2017-Present (Professional Malpractice, Commercial Litigation and Medical Malpractice)
- American Association for Justice Trial Lawyers Care Award 2014 and 2017 (Finalist)