Ross is a tenacious, mission-focused, and passionate attorney with over ten years of experience as a lawyer in complex litigation and class action lawsuits in both State and Federal courts across the country. Ross not only possesses the creative intellect and ability to navigate issues of first impression but he is also adept in case development, factual and legal research and writing, complaint drafting, client interaction, and discovery matters. Ross has the proven ability to lead a team and work directly with both clients and council, providing practical and effective advice to business leaders and developing relationships with key business stakeholders.
Prior to coming to Loftus & Eisenberg, Ltd. Ross was an associate attorney promoted upon law school graduation at class action power house Anderson + Wanca. At his prior firm, Ross mastered the ability to develop and analyze case backgrounds and evidence to develop the strongest litigation strategy to maximize return for class members. As a part of the Loftus & Eisenberg, Ltd. team, Ross continues to work on all areas of complex business litigation including commercial, chancery, consumer class, and data privacy.
His ability to draft and respond to written discovery, research and draft motions to strike, motions to dismiss, summary judgment, motions in support of class certification, motions to compel and motions to bar experts is second to none. His impressive presence in court often leads to obtaining favorable settlements through direct communication and negotiations with opposing counsel, pre-trial settlement conferences and mediations and drafting of subsequent settlement agreements.
Ross single-handedly envisioned, created, and maintained SerialObjector.com, a site providing journalists and others in the legal field with resources to understand and combat extortion in the approval process of class action settlements. The site helped hundreds of class action settlements thwart extortion attempts by serial objectors. Ultimately, SerialObjector.com helped usher in changes to the way objections to class action appeals are handled to prevent this type of extortion in the future.
In addition to being a leading class action litigation attorney, in his earlier years at Anderson + Wanca, Ross led a 12-person research team on litigation in federal and state courts as well as performed data analytics and was promoted to Director of Research with oversight for a team of more than half a dozen people while attending law school.
Ross has led significant class actions, some with millions of members and settlements over $20M. A few notable cases were:
Sawyer v. Stericycle: Consumer Class Action (TCPA Violations) | $45M Settlement | 56,622 Members
- Ross deposed witnesses, handled subpoenas for third-party documentation critical to defining the class as well as retained Plaintiff’s experts in telecommunications and handled briefing on several discovery motions. Ross also participated in the mediation culminating in the class-wide settlement less than 15 months after the case’s filing.
C-Mart v. Metlife: Consumer Class Action | $23M Settlement | Millions of Members
- Where Ross participated in three mediations that culminated in a complex settlement that withstood multiple objections heard by the Illinois Supreme Court, led a document review team of six to examine hundreds of thousands of documents leading to the discovery of information that triggered the settlement and briefed and argued critical motions, including obtaining class certification and prevailing against a Rule 23(f) challenge.
Cin-Q v. Buccaneers: Consumer Class Action | $19.75M Settlement | 131,011 Members
- Ross participated in discovery, including numerous depositions of third parties in the United States and Canada. During litigation, Ross participated in the successful thwarting of an inferior class-wide settlement through briefing in front of the district court and ultimately an interlocutory appeal to the 11th Circuit. Ross argued numerous critical motions, including an evidentiary hearing.
Fauley v. Heska: Consumer Class Action | $6.75M Settlement | 21,244 Members
- Where Ross handled depositions for all witnesses on behalf of Plaintiff, including Defendant’s employees and third parties, managed contested class certification briefing and successfully represented the class in two medications resulting in a class-wide settlement.
Consumer Protection Class Action | $5.5M Judgment | 11,422 Members
- Ross deposed witnesses and handled subpoenas for third-party documentation critical to defining the class as well as retained Plaintiff’s experts in data recovery and handled briefings on several motions for class certification and summary judgment and appeals.
Outside of work, Ross enjoys snowboarding, playing soccer with his children, spending time outside, and trying new restaurants with his wife.
John Marshall Law School, 2013
University of Illinois, 2010
U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois, 2013
U.S. District Court – Northern District of Ohio, 2014
U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Michigan, 2014
U.S. District Court – Western District of Michigan, 2015
U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Missouri, 2015
U.S. District Court – Western District of Wisconsin, 2015
U.S. District Court – Southern District of Florida, 2015
U.S. District Court – Middle District of Florida, 2015
U.S. District Court – Central District of Illinois, 2016
U.S. District Court – Northern District of Indiana, 2016
U.S. District Court – Colorado, 2019
U.S. Court of Appeals – 9th Circuit, 2019
U.S. Court of Appeals – 11th Circuit, 2021
Combating Class Settlement Objectors: Overview of Proposed Rule Amendments, Key Preventive Measures and Tactics - Continuing Legal Education